Admiralty Island mine sold by Rio Tinto to Hecla

The Greens Creek Mine on Admiralty Island has been sold to Idaho-based Hecla Mining Company. Hecla already owns 30% of the silver, gold, zinc and lead mine. It paid $750 million to London-based Rio Tinto for the remaining 70% of the mine. The sale is expected to close this spring.

John Ryan, KTOO – Juneau