Anchorage Edition: November 7, 2008
Each week, host Michael Carey gathers journalists and commentators for a review of the week’s news, politics and public affairs in Anchorage and Alaska. Topics this week include:
- Obama elected president, though not in the Alaskan vote; what impact did Palin have on McCain’s collection of votes in the state?
- Why were voter numbers apparently depressed in Alaska this election? Was it the lack of ballot initiatives? Was it post-corruption disaffection? Was the election decided before Alaskans had a chance to vote?
- North Pole numbers — McCain beat Obama 4-to-1; but a sizable number of these conservatives broke for Begich and Bird over Stevens
- How did Palin perform as a VP candidate on the national stage?
- What awaits Palin as Governor?
- Is there a future for Palin on the national stage? What does she have to do to be taken seriously on the national stage, going forward?
- Stevens / Begich still undecided in a close race to be finalized by some 74,000 ballots yet to be counted
- Will the Senate move to expel Stevens before the end of the year?
- State politicians that ethically falter are savaged, but Stevens looks to be reelected despite conviction
- Do Alaskans care about political corruption?
- Don Young has apparently been reelected; more votes to be counted, but it looks grim for Berkowitz
- How or why was the polling in Alaska so far off on key statewide races?
- Alaska legislative races roundup; House will be strongly Republican; Senate looks to be split pretty evenly between the parties; some races still undecided
- How is Alaska the same as or different from the rest of the country?
Download Audio (MP3, 30 min)
HOST: Michael Carey, independent journalist
- Paul Jenkins, conservative commentator
- Rosemary Shinohara, Anchorage Daily News
- Dermot Cole, Fairbanks Daily News-Miner
KSKA (FM) BROADCAST: Friday, November 7, 2008 at 7:30 p.m.
KAKM (TV) BROADCAST: Friday, November 7, 2008 at 9:00 p.m. / Repeats Saturday, November 8 at 5:00 p.m.
- Send e-mail to email@example.com
- Post your comment or question below
SUBSCRIBE: Get Anchorage Edition updates automatically by e-mail, RSS or podcast.