Child abuse is a serious but potentially preventable public health problem that victimizes way too many children in this country every year and costs billions of dollars to our society. Today on Line One, host Dr. Woodard discusses child abuse, its causes and sequela, in the first of a two part program. Child psychologist, Dr. Laura Jones; founder of Facing Foster Care in Alaska, Amanda Metevier; and Anchorage CASA Program Coordinator, June Haisten join Dr. Woodard in the studio to take your phone calls.
- Alaska CASA: Facing Foster Care in Alaska
- Child Welfare League Association
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Anchorage Community Mental Health Services, Inc.
Download Audio (MP3)
- American Psychological Association: report on Child Maltreatment
- CWLA National Data Anlayasis System: Alaska child abuse data trends (PDF)
- Alaskan Foster Care Alumni Study (PDF)
HOST: Dr. Thad Woodard
- June Haisten, Anchorage CASA Program Coordinator (a state employee at the Office of Public Advocacy)
- Dr. Laura Jones, clinical child/adolescent psychologist
- Amanda Metevier, founder, Facing Foster Care in Alaska
LIVE BROADCAST: Mon, March 30, 2009 at 2:00 p.m.
REPEAT BROADCAST: Mon, March 30, 2009 at 8:00 p.m.
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast
- Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
- Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by e-mail, RSS or podcast.
DR. WOODARD’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Science Based Medicine
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Super Smart Health