A former Cordova “fisherm’ am”, Riki Ott experienced the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill first hand in 1989. To deal the the long-term impacts of the spill, today she is a public speaker, author, scientist and a citizen activist raising awareness about the “Democracy in Crisis.”
Comparing democracy to the great and powerful Oz, Riki Ott describes the hands behind the curtain pulling the levers in the United States government.
Hosted by BIONEERS in Alaska at the Snow Goose theater in Anchorage, Ott’s talk entitled “Democracy in Crisis: It’s Time to Change the Rules,” was recorded on December 9.
- Ultimate Civics
- Citizens United
- The Story of Stuff
- YouTube: the Story of Cap & Trade
- Riki Ott Official Website
Download Audio (MP3)
RECORDED: Wednesday December 9, 2009
AIRED ON KSKA: Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 2:00 p.m.
REPEATS: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 9:00 p.m.
- Riki Ott, author, marine biologist, public speaker, citizen activist
HOST: BIONEERS in Alaska
Addressing Alaskans PARTNERS and PAST HOSTS:
- Renewable Energy Alaska Project
- BIONEERS in Alaska
- Alaska World Affairs Council
- Anchorage Chamber of Commerce
- World Trade Center of Alaska
- University of Alaska Anchorage – 49th State Fellows
- University of Alaska Anchorage – Alaska WWAMI
Addressing Alaskans features local talks and conversations recorded at public events taking place in Southcentral, Alaska. A variety of local organizations host speakers addressing topics that matter to Alaskans. To let us know about an upcoming community event that you would like to hear on Addressing Alaskans, please Contact Us with details.