As the sea ice pulls back in the Arctic Ocean, the rush to develop it has already begun.
Russia used a submarine to plant a flag under the North Pole.
The US sent an icebreaker far out into the Chukchi Sea to survey a new maritime boundary. Canada is building a military port.
All the Arctic nations, including Denmark and Norway, are making plans. We’ll have an update, and an analysis, on the next “Talk of Alaska.’’
Download Audio (MP3)
HOST: Steve Heimel, APRN
- Richard Sale. Author. “Scramble for the Arctic.”
- Kenneth H. Dunton. Director. COMIDA. Minerals Management Service. University of Texas.
- Live callers statewide
- Post your comment before, during or after the live broadcast (comments may be read on air)
- Send e-mail to talk [at] aprn [dot] org (comments may be read on air)
- Call 550-8422 in Anchorage or 1-800-478-8255 during the live broadcast
LIVE Broadcast: Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. on APRN stations statewide