PSP Suspected for Man’s Hospital Trip

Casey Kelly, KTOO – Juneau

The state Department of Health is reporting another suspected case of paralytic shellfish poisoning in Alaska – the fifth in the past two weeks. A Haines man developed symptoms of PSP after eating the viscera – or internal organs – of Dungeness crab Friday night. He was medevaced to Juneau Saturday and released from Bartlett Regional Hospital Monday morning.

PSP is not normally found in crab meat, but can be found in the viscera. The state Department of Health warns people not to consume internal organs from subsistence or recreationally harvested crabs.

Download Audio (MP3)