Proponents call it the Anti-Corruption Act. Opponents call it an attack on free speech and capable of shutting down local government.
The State of Alaska voter pamphlet describes it this way:
“An initiative prohibiting the use of public funds to lobby or campaign; and prohibiting holders of government contracts and family members from making political contributions.”
So what does that mean? Two guests – Ken Jacobus from the Yes on One camp, and Josh Applebee from the No on One camp – will join host Kathleen McCoy to sort it out on KSKA’s Hometown, Alaska. Bring your questions. It’s time to get the facts on Ballot Measure One before you head into the voting booth on Aug. 24.
- State of Alaska, Division of Elections Ballot Measure Pamphlet (PDF)
- BallotPedia: Alaska Anti Corruption Act, Ballot Measure 1 (2010)
- Stateline.org: On the ballot in Alaska: transparency
- Clean Team Alaska: Full text of Ballot Measure 1
- Stop the Gag Law
- Clean Team Alaska: Yes on Clean Government
- Alaska Attorney General’s opinion, 12/18/2007 (PDF)
- Legislative legal opinion 02/15/1020 (PDF)
RELATED SHOWS AND STORIES:
- A Closer Look: Ballot Measure 1
- APRN: Initiative Limiting Access to Political Process Withdrawn (10 June 2010)
- APRN: Lieutenant Governor Candidates Debate Hot Topics (9 June 2010)
- Addressing Alaskans: Both Sides of Ballot Measure 1 (13 May 2010)
- APRN: Ballot Measure One Supporter Says its Not a Gag Law (6 May 2010)
- APRN: Juneau, Anchorage Rally Against Ballot Measure One (3 May 2010)
Download Audio (MP3)
HOST: Kathleen McCoy, independent journalist
- Ken Jacobus, deputy treasurer, Alaskans for Open Government
- Josh Applebee, campaign manager, Vote No on One
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send e-mail to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE: Wed, August 11, 2010 at 2:00 p.m.
REPEAT: Wed, August 11, 2010 at 10:00 p.m.
- Get Hometown, Alaska updates automatically by e-mail, RSS or podcast