May Schedule Highlights
NATURE: BEARS OF THE LAST FRONTIER: Join adventurer and bear biologist Chris Morgan on a year-long motorcycle odyssey deep into Alaska’s bear country to explore the amazing resiliency and adaptability of these majestic animals as they struggle to make a living in five dramatically diverse Alaskan ecosystems: coastal, urban, mountain, tundra and pack ice.
American Experience: Freedom Riders: In 1961, segregation seemed to have an overwhelming grip on American society. Many states violently enforced the policy, while the federal government, under the Kennedy administration, remained indifferent, preoccupied with matters abroad. That is, until an integrated band of college students — many of whom were the first in their families to attend a university — decided, en masse, to risk everything and buy a ticket on a Greyhound bus bound for the Deep South.
They called themselves the Freedom Riders, and they managed to bring the president and the entire American public face to face with the challenge of correcting civil-rights inequities that plagued the nation.
Other May Highlights Include:
- NATURE: Salmon: Running the Gauntlet. Sunday, May 1. Starting 7:00 and 9:00 p.m.
- Soundtrack for a Revolution. Monday, May 9. Starting at 8:00 p.m.
- Frontline. Kill/Capture. Tuesday, May 17. Starting at 8:00 p.m.
- Craft in America. Tuesday, May 24. Starting at 7:00 p.m.
- National Memorial Day Concert 2011. Sunday, May 29. Starting at 7:00 p.m.
Our Complete May Schedules:
Click here to see our May Primetime Guide