Photo Gallery: 1841 Kolmakovsky Blockhouse

Over the weekend a crew raised the new roof for our historical blockhouse, originally built on the banks of the Kuskokwim River in 1841.

More details here.

From University of Alaska Museum of the North (Showing 23 of 802 items)

Generated by Facebook Photo Fetcher

Previous articleOrigins, Part One
Next articleAlaska News Nightly: August 31, 2011

The University of Alaska Museum of the North is a popular visitor attraction, a vital component of the university and the only research and teaching museum in Alaska. The museum’s collection – 1.4 million artifacts and specimens – represents millions of years of biological diversity and thousands of years of cultural traditions. The collections are organized into 10 disciplines (archaeology, birds, documentary film, earth sciences, ethnology, fine arts, fishes, insects, mammals, and plants) and serve as a resource for research on climate change, contaminants and other issues facing the circumpolar North.