The Alaska Territorial Guard Memorial in Bethel is due to be dedicated on July 3rd. Thousands of Alaska Natives defended the coast of the Territory during the Second World War and were then forgotten. To this day, some have not received their discharge papers. The war did much to shape the future of our state, and few remain who bear a living memory of it.
If you want to send rocks to help with the memorial effort, please send them to PO Box 3049 — Bethel, AK 99559
HOST: Steve Heimel
- Verdie Bowen, director, Alaska Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Mercedes Angerman, coordinator, Alaska Territorial Guard Program, 907-428-6513
- Dave Trantham, Jr., volunteer, ATG Memorial Park
- Callers Statewide
- Post your comment before, during or after the live broadcast (comments may be read on air).
- Send e-mail to talk [at] alaskapublic [dot] org (comments may be read on air)
- Call 550-8422 in Anchorage or 1-800-478-8255 if you’re outside Anchorage during the live broadcast
LIVE Broadcast: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. on APRN stations statewide.
SUBSCRIBE: Get Talk of Alaska updates automatically by e-mail, RSS or podcast.