Young, Cissna Win; Ballot Measures Fail
Incumbent U.S. Representative Don Young easily won the Republican nomination for Congress on Tuesday. He will face Sharon Cissna who handily defeated a field of Democrats and Jim McDermott who ran unopposed for the Libertarian nomination.
Two statewide ballot measures failed. One would have created a coastal zone management program (38% yes, 62% no) and the other would have allowed local governments to create additional property tax relief (49.45% yes, 50.55% no).
Young won with nearly 79% of the vote. His nearest rival, John Cox had 15% and Terre Gales had 7%. Cissna, a legislator from Anchorage, won with nearly 43% of the vote. Others in the race included Matt Moore (19%), Debra Chesnut (15%), Frank Vondersaar (5%) and Doug Urquidi (3%).
In key Senate races:
- Click Bishop (49%) defeated David Eastman (21%) and Ralph Seekins (30%) for the Republican nomination in Fairbanks’ District C.
- Mike Dunleavy (58%) defeated incumbent Linda Menard (42%) for the Republican nomination for District D which covers parts of the Mat-Su Valley.
- Republican Don Smith (59%) beat his Senate District H opponent Clint Hess (41%) in an Anchorage race.
- Bob Bell (60%) won the Republican nomination in Anchorage’s District J defeating Elizabeth Vazquez (40%).
- Incumbent Lesil McGuire (56%) defeated challenger Jeff Landfield (44%) for the Republican nomination in Anchorage’s District K.
- Incumbent Democrat Bettye Davis (51%) edged challenger Harry Crawford (49%) for District M in East Anchorage.
- Incumbent Catherine Giessel (67%) beat Joe Arness (34%) for the Republican nomination in District N which stretches from south Anchorage through parts of the Kenai.
- Peter Micchiche (60%) beat incumbent Thomas Wagoner (40%) for the Republican nomination in Kenai’s District O.
In key House races:
- Benjamin Nageak (36%) defeated three other opponents for the Democratic nomination District 40. He beat Adeline Hopson (6%), Robert Nelson (25%) and Greta Schuerch (33%). District 40 includes the North Slope Borough and Northwest Arctic Borough.
- Incumbent Eric Feige (53%) won the Republican nomination in District 6 (parts of Mat-Su) narrowly beating George Rauscher (47%).
- Incumbent Paul Seaton (55%) won the Republican nomination in Homer’s District 30 defeating Jon Faulkner (45%).
For complete results go to State of Alaska.