Republicans Pick Up AK Senate Seats
Republicans picked up seats in the Alaska Senate in Tuesday’s election.
Among the key races included:
- Fairbanks-area Republicans John Coghill and Pete Kelly won their bids, as did Republican Click Bishop.
- Democratic incumbent Bettye Davis lost to Republican Anna Fairclough in an Anchorage-Eagle River district.
- Democrat Albert Kookesh (Angoon) and Republican Bert Stedman (Sitka) were pitted against each other in District Q in Southeast Alaska. Stedman won.
- Democrat Hollis French edged Republican Bob Bell in Anchorage’s District J.
Results in closely-watched races:
- Senate A (Fairbanks): Joe Thomas (D) – 5,233 John Coghill (R) – 7,406
- Senate B (Fairbanks): Joe Paskvan (D) – 4,268 Pete Kelly (R) – 4,797
- Senate C (Fairbanks, Delta, Valdez): Anne Sudkamp (D) – 3,146 Click Bishop (R) – 7,985
- Senate G (Anchorage): Bill Wielechowski (D) – 5,113 Bob Roses (R) – 3,510
- Senate H (Anchorage): Berta Gardner (D) – 5,658 Don Smith (R) – 3,826
- Senate J (Anchorage): Hollis French (D) – 6,415 Bob Bell (R) – 6,166
- Senate M: (Anchorage): Bettye Davis (D) – 5,350 Anna Fairclough (R) – 8,149
- Senate N (Anchorage-Nikiski-Seward): Cathy Giessel (R) – 7,671 Ron Devon (NA – 5,808
- Senate Q (Southeast Alaska): Albert Kookesh (D) – 4,011 Bert Stedman (R) – 7,187