via the Federal Bureau of Investigation
Mary Rook, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for the State of Alaska requests the public’s assistance in developing information concerning the travels of suspected serial killer ISRAEL KEYES, deceased, in order to identify additional victims. Anyone with information concerning Keyes is encouraged to contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL- FBI.
Based upon investigation conducted following his arrest in March 2012, Israel Keyes is believed to have committed multiple kidnappings and murders across the country between 2001 and March 2012. Keyes lived in Washington from 2001 to March 2007, at which time he moved to Alaska. While living in Alaska, Keyes worked as a general contractor but traveled extensively. In a series of interviews with law enforcement, Keyes described significant planning and preparation for his murders, reflecting a meticulous and organized approach to his crimes. It was not unusual for Keyes to fly into an airport, rent a car, and drive hundreds of miles to his final destination. This was the case in the murder of Bill and Loraine Currier, where Keyes flew into Chicago, rented a car, and drove across several states before arriving in Essex, Vermont. After the murder of the Curriers, Keyes continued his travels on the east coast before returning to Chicago and then to Alaska.
Keyes admitted responsibility for robbing several banks during this time frame, two of which investigators have corroborated. Keyes used the proceeds from his bank robberies to pay for his travel, along with money he made as a general contractor.
Keyes also admitted traveling to various locations to leave supplies he planned to use in a future crime. Keyes buried caches throughout the United States. The FBI has recovered two caches buried by Keyes – one in Eagle River, Alaska and one near Blakes Falls Reservoir in New York. The caches contained weapons and other items used to dispose of bodies. Keyes indicated the other caches he buried throughout the U.S. contain weapons, money, and items used to dispose of victims.
Investigators believe that Keyes did not know any of his victims prior to their abductions. He described several remote locations that he frequented to look for victims – parks, campgrounds, trailheads, cemeteries, boating areas, etc. Keyes also told investigators that prior to the Currier case, his victims’ disappearance received little if any media coverage. Based on his own research, Keyes stated that one of his victims has been recovered but authorities ruled the death accidental. Investigators have not identified this victim or where this crime occurred.
Keyes admitted to murdering four people in Washington; he killed two people (independent of each other) sometime during 2005 and 2006, and murdered a couple in Washington between 2001 and 2005. It is unknown if these victims were residents of Washington or if they were vacationing in Washington but resided in another state. It is also possible Keyes abducted them from a nearby state and transported them to Washington.
Additionally, Keyes admitted to investigators that in 2009 he murdered a victim on the east coast and disposed of the body in New York State. Based on Keyes’ statements, investigators believe Keyes abducted the victim from a surrounding state and transported him/her to New York.
The timeline below is an outline of Keyes’ travels and whereabouts throughout the United States from 2001 to present. Due to Keyes’ pattern of traveling significant distances by car, the locations are grouped by region rather than specific states.
- 10/05/2004 to 10/16/2004 Eastern US
- 04/20/2005 to 04/25/2005 WA, British Columbia
- 05/10/2006 to 05/15/2006 Western US
- 09/01/2006 to 09/07/2006 Alaska
- 10/21/2006 to 10/23/2006 Western US, Mexico
- 11/08/2006 to 11/16/2006 Alaska
- 02/05/2007 to 02/08/2007 Southwest US
- 03/01/2007 to 03/09/2007 WA, Canada (drove to Alaska)
- 04/24/2007 to 05/04/2007 Western US, Mexico
- 08/26/2007 to 09/06/2007 Western US
- 10/29/2007 to 11/02/2007 Western US
- 11/12/2007 to 11/13/2007 Western US
- 12/04/2007 to 12/17/2007 Midwest and Western US
- 01/05/2008 to 01/08/2008 Western US
- 01/28/2008 to 02/15/2008 Southern US and Western US
- 05/11/2008 to 05/17/2008 Western US
- 07/03/2008 to 07/07/2008 Western US
- 09/16/2008 to 09/24/2008 Western US
- 10/24/2008 to 11/05/2008 Southwest US, Midwest US and Western US
- 12/05/2008 to 12/07/2008 Hawaii
- 12/11/2008 to 12/25/2008 Mexico
- 02/23/2009 to 02/27/2009 Western US
- 04/01/2009 to 04/14/2009 Eastern US, Western US
- 09/11/2009 to 10/03/2009 Southern US
- 12/17/2009 to 12/29/2009 Southern US
- 01/11/2010 to 02/25/2010 Western US
- 03/01/2010 to 03/10/2010 Western US
- 04/24/2010 to 04/30/2010 Western US
- 05/19/2010 to 07/18/2010 Midwest US and Western US
- 07/18/2010 to 07/22/2010 Southwest US
- 10/15/2010 to 10/25/2010 Midwest US, Eastern US
- 06/02/2011 to 06/16/2011 Midwest US, Eastern US
- 09/15/2011 to 09/25/2011 Western US
- 02/02/2012 to 02/18/2012 Southern US
- 03/06/2012 to 03/13/2012 Southwestern and Southern US
If you have information for law enforcement please contact 1-800-CALL- FBI.