Small game can be an entry for young people into hunting, but it’s also is a tradition for sportsmen going back centuries and shows up in classic literature from all over the world. On the next Outdoor Explorer, the topic is hunting upland game birds and small mammals. It can be low-key fun that you do with friends near town, or it can be an all-consuming hobby involving extensive training and investment. Tune in with us to learn more.
HOST: Charles Wohlforth
- Rick Merizon, small game biologist, Fish and Game
- Derek Tomlinson, Ruffed Grouse Society
- Map with GPS Coordinates showing some of the Ruffed Grouse Society’s habitat work in the Mat-Su corridor
- Fish and Game website on how to dress upland game (hares, grouse, ptarmigan)
- Fish and Game website on hunter education
- Fish and Game guide to small game species… for example, did you know there are three species of ptarmigan people harvest in Alaska?
- Ruffed Grouse Society – national organization
- Ruffed Grouse Society, southcentral Alaska chapter
- Gourmet upland game recipes from “Hunter, Angler, Gardner, Cook”
BROADCAST: Thursday, December 4, 2014, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Thursday, December 4, 2014, 9:00 – 10:00 p.m. AKDT
SUBSCRIBE: Receive Outdoor Explorer automatically every week via
Go to OUTDOOREXPLORER.ORG
Audio to be posted following broadcast