Samantha Bond (Downton Abbey) and Francesca Annis (Reckless) star as bitter rivals for control of the Women’s Institute in a rural English town as it struggles with the onset of World War II.
Hailed by the London Daily Mirror as “an astonishing story about women as war breaks out” HOME FIRES also stars Clare Calbraith (Downton Abbey), Ed Stoppard (Upstairs Downstairs), and Claire Rushbrook (Whitechapel).
The six-part Masterpiece series starts Sunday, October 4 at 7:00 p.m.
- Episode One Sunday, October 4. With World War II imminent, the local Women’s Institute dissolves after Joyce resigns as president. Frances tries to revive the group with a jam-making project.
- Episode Two Sunday, October 11. The Women’s Institute is back, and the RAF arrives in town. Pat endures abuse. Alison’s dog has a close call. The local doctor faces up to his fate.
- Episode Three Sunday, October 18. Alison takes desperate steps to pay a bill. Claire asks Spencer out. Pat makes a speech but pays the consequences. The farmer and vicar do their duty.
- Episode Four Sunday, October 25. Frances plans an air raid shelter. Alison breaks the law; so does Miriam. Steph hides a secret that threatens the farm. Kate gets shattering news.
- Episode Five Sunday, November 1. Frances welcomes an evacuee. Laura follows her sister’s footsteps. Spencer is shunned. Teresa gets bad news and makes a confession.
- Episode Six Sunday, November 8. Alison tries to escape her troubles before the jig is up. Miriam experiences despair and joy. Pat is freed from tyranny. Laura’s secret is out.