Dallas Seavey and Aliy Zirkle were racing neck and neck towards Elim on Monday just before noon and were distancing themselves from the rest of the Iditarod field. Seavey reached Koyuk early Monday morning and left about 8:29 am. Zirkle took a shorter rest period in Koyuk and left right behind Seavey a few minutes before 9 am. Aaron Burmeister was racing third and out of Koyuk.
About noon on Monday, five teams were in Koyuk trailing the leaders:
– Ray Redington, Jr.
– Last year’s champion John Baker.
– Ramey Smyth.
– Peter Kaiser.
– Past champion Mitch Seavey.
Other teams of interest (as of noon Monday):
– DeeDee Jonrowe was nearing Koyuk.
– Brent Sass continued to lead the field of rookies.
– Hugh Neff, rookie Anjanette Steer, Martin Buser and Rohn Buser were racing as a group on their way to Koyuk.
– Lance Mackey was in Unalakleet.
– Bob Chlupach trailed the field.