Noorvik Man Faces Kidnapping, Attempted Sexual Assault Charges for April Attack

A Noorvik man faces charges of burglary, kidnapping, and attempted sexual assault after allegedly breaking into a neighbors home, attacking a woman who was walking by, and dragging her inside the house.

It all happened on the morning of April 4 in Noorvik—a community of fewer than 700 people about 43 miles east of Kotzebue.

That’s when court documents allege 28-year-old Johnny Nazuruk broke into a home in the Kobuk River community. Court records show he waited there for the woman to walk by, and then attacked her—before dragging her inside the broken-into house against her will.

A sworn statement from the woman Nazuruk allegedly attacked, as well as investigation from Noorvik village public safety officer John McCrary, say once Nazuruk pulled the woman inside, he threw her down and attacked her—punching and kicking her torso and head. Court documents say Nazuruk then tried to rip off the woman’s clothes. She continued to struggle—until he turned to take off her boots. That’s when the woman says Nazuruk “raised up slightly”—and she was able to “knee [him] in the groin” and run out of the house.

She fell on the steps leaving the home—and court documents say Nazuruk caught her leg and tried to pull her back inside. She screamed for help—alerting a local man walking by on his way to work. As the man approached, investigators say Nazuruk ran back into the house and locked the door. The man then walked the woman home.

Days later, she told her story to VPSO McCrary, who interviewed witnesses and sought to arrest Nuzurak—but by then he was already in custody in Nome’s Anvil Mountain Correctional Center, arrested for a separate incident on charges of resisting arrest.

In all Nazuruk faces five felony charges for the alleged April attack, including burglary, assault, and attempted sexual assault. He also faces one felony charge for kidnapping and one for attempted kidnapping. Nazuruk’s criminal record includes multiple convictions for assault, as well as a felony burglary conviction in 2012.

He formally heard the charges against him in the Nome court Sunday, and had a first appearance for the Kotzebue court Monday. He remains in custody at AMCC.

Previous articleMan in Anchorage drug ring gets 3 life sentences
Next articleSuspect arrested for attack on biker on Chester Creek Trail
Matthew Smith is a reporter at KNOM in Nome.

No posts to display