In rural Alaska, you don’t usually see a lot of skiers, but that doesn’t really make sense, because snow is something the Arctic has plenty of. On the next Outdoor explorer, we’ll be talking to Lars Flora, a former olympian who has dedicated himself to spreading skiing across Alaska like a Nordic Johnny Appleseed, Elizabeth Rexford, who is one of his volunteers, and Jim Vordestrasse, who started skiing in Barrow in 1973.
HOST: Charles Wohlforth
- Lars Flora, a former olympian who has dedicated himself to spreading skiing across Alaska through his organization Skiku
- Elizabeth Rexford, a volunteer skiing coach with Skiku
- Jim Vordestrasse, former barrow mayor, long time skier who’s worked to introduce more people to arctic skiing
- Skiku, creating a sustainable Nordic ski program in communities throughout Alaska.
- Skiku videos and more info available on Vimeo.
- NANA Nordic, who’s goal is introduce the lifetime sport of cross-country skiing to rural Alaska, starting with villages in the NANA region
PARTICIPATE: Facebook: Outdoor Explorer (comments may be read on-air)
BROADCAST: Thursday, February 4, 2016. 2:00 pm – 3:00 p.m. AKT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Thursday, February 11, 2016. 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. AKT
SUBSCRIBE: Receive Outdoor Explorer automatically every week via
Go to OUTDOOREXPLORER.ORG