Whenever we open the phone lines and invite listeners to tell us about programming they’d like on Hometown Alaska, we hear a few common themes. One of them is to pay tribute to people who do good work in Alaska. Another is to share the stories of long-time Alaskans. In today’s episode, we get to do both.
Today, we’ll hear stories from women who have helped shape, and are still shaping, the great state of Alaska.
On March 3, the Alaska Women’s Hall of Fame will induct its Class of 2016. We’ll have the honor of conversing with four of the 13 honorees, along with devoted Hall of Fame supporter, Jane Angvik.
What would you like to ask a woman doctor and private pilot who delivered babies in the Aleutian Islands? Think there are a few stories there?
How about a Harvard-trained city planner who retired, and then devoted herself to preserving history and developing therapeutic justice programs? Friends tease that that was all before breakfast!
How about a successful businesswoman who managed work/life balance by hiring the right people so she could devote time to family, education and volunteering? Who doesn’t want that recipe? Or a songbird and cultural activist who grew up picking cotton with her grandmother and never met a horizon she didn’t love.
Join us, listen to an amazing heritage of wisdom from four of the 13 new Hall of Famers! Looking for inspiration and perspective? Look no further than Hometown Alaska’s guests this week.
HOST: Kathleen McCoy
- Jane Angvik, Alaska Women’s Hall of Fame
- Janet McCabe, Class of 2016
- Shirley Mae Staten, Class of 2016
- Jo Michalski, Class of 2016
- You, the listeners
- Alaska Women’s Hall of Fame website
- Profiles in Change, Alaska’s Digital Archives
- Induction event: Thursday, March 3, 7 p.m., Anchorage Museum
Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Wednesday, March 2, 2015, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. (Alaska time)
REPEAT BROADCAST: Wednesday, March 2, 2015, 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. (Alaska time)