The new frontiers in parenting, are cell phones, the internet, and social media. Navigating this challenge is complex and often frustrating for parents. With 80% of 12-17 year old owning cell phones, managing your kids exposure to damaging content, cyber bullying, and controlling their use is a daunting task. On this edition of Line One we will look at the impact that the smartphone, and internet explosion, has had on our children and families and the challenges they present to us as parents.
There will be no guest for this show so we want to encourage listeners to call in with their questions on this topic or on any other mental health topic.
HOST: Prentiss Pemberton
- Dangerous Apps 2015
- Dangerous Apps 2016
- A parent’s guide to cell phones
- National Center for Missing or Exploited Children: “Kids and Cell Phones”
- 5 reasons your kid should not have a cell phone
- How kids get around parental controls
- More tricks on how they get around parental controls
- Youtube video of a teen showing how to get around parental controls
- The best parental control apps for your phone, 2016 edition
- CNN’s screentime recommendations
- Screen addiction, a real thing?
- How to get your kid off their smartphone
- Teens, Social Media and Privacy
- How to embrace kids and their cell phones
- Are teens addicted to cell phones
- Teens and internet pornography
- What is computer and video game addiction?
- Cyberbullying, from StopBullying.gov
- Info on cyberbullying from Common Sense Media
- Teens and the Internet: How Much is Too Much?
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Monday, November 28, 2016, at 2:00 p.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Monday, November 28, 2016, at 8:00 p.m. AKDT
DR. WOODARD’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Cleveland Clinic
- Mayo Clinic
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Science Based Medicine
- Super Smart Health
- Understanding Health Research
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by: