Justice Alaska on Hometown Alaska has frequently focused on how courts protect the most vulnerable in society. Previous shows explored judicial support for the elderly, children in need and disabled citizens.
On this week’s Justice Alaska, we turn to another vulnerable population: immigrants and refugees. We seek an overview of this landscape in Alaska, a discussion over how immigration law differs from civil and criminal law, and a road map that follows President Donald Trump’s executive order and the judicial response to it.
The news is changing every day in this arena. Our invitation to federal officials to explain and discuss the executive order on our program was turned down because of current litigation, although officials did express willingness to discuss the action at some point in the future.
Whether you’ve been riveted to the national news, or just catching passing headlines, we hope today’s program will help provide a more thorough understanding of immigration law, its important role in Alaska, and the President’s executive order.
HOSTS: Senior Judge Elaine Andrews and Kathleen McCoy
- Robin Bronen, executive director, Alaska Institute for Justice
- How will Trump’s executive orders on immigration, refugees affect Alaska?, Alaska Dispatch News
- Alaska Institute for Justice, website
- Alaska Immigration Justice Project, website
- Refugee Assistance and Immigration Services, Catholic Social Services
- Full text: Protecting the nation from foreign terrorist entry into the United States
- Immigration order, annotated, nytimes.com
- Full text: Enhancing public safety in the interior of the United States, 1.25.2017, The White House press office
- ‘Protecting’ order, annotated by law professor, VOX news
- U.S. Custom and Border Protection, website with FAQs
- Court temporarily blocks Trump’s travel ban, nytimes.com
- Full replay: Oral arguments for Trump immigration ban hearing, 9th Circuit
- How Trump’s order affects the U.S. Refugee Program, nytimes.com
- Justice Department urges appeals court to reinstate Trump’s travel ban, nytimes.com
- Court refuses to reinstate the travel ban, nytimes.com
- Ninth Circuit decision on Trump’s travel ban, PDF, nytimes.com
- Stand up for refugees, immigrants, op-ed by Robin Bronen, Alaska Dispatch News
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air) email@example.com
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. (Alaska time)
REPEAT BROADCAST: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. (Alaska time)