Staying healthy in the backcountry is a prerequisite to having a good time. But it’s more important than that. Getting sick in the wilderness, away from health care, can magnify the hazards of a situation. On the next show, we’ll talk about health issues, mostly having to do with food and water, and how you can keep your group in good shape on backcountry hiking or remote boating trips this summer. Safe drinking water is critical, and we’ll have some details on that topic that even experienced outdoors folks might not know from a microbiologist. We’ll also talk about food, packing the right number of calories, and the simple but essential task of washing your hands in camp.
HOST: Charles Wohlforth
- Cindy Christian, Program Manager, Drinking Water Compliance and
Monitoring, Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
- Paul Twardock, Professor of Outdoor Studies at Alaska Pacific University.
- Gearge Scanlon, Shelfish Permit Coordinator, DEC.
- Alaska Department of Environmental Convservation
- Information on safe shellfish from the Division of Environmental Health
- The DEC’s Drinking Water Program
BROADCAST: Thursday, June 01, 2017. 2:00 pm – 3:00 p.m. AKT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Thursday, June 08, 2017. 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. AKT
SUBSCRIBE: Receive Outdoor Explorer automatically every week via:
Go to OUTDOOREXPLORER.ORG