Cancer is a genetic disease caused by changes to genes that control the way our cells function, especially how they grow and divide. The genetic changes that promote cancer can be inherited or acquired during one’s lifetime, resulting from errors that occur as cells divide due to environmental factors like substances in cigarettes and ionizing radiation. This Line One program will focus on inherited genes and cancer with a focus on inherited genetic risk for breast cancer.
- Dr. Ellen Provost, survivor of hereditary breast cancer and director of ANTHC Alaska Native Epidemiology Center.
- Megan Nathan is a cancer genetic counselor at Providence Alaska Medical Center. She works alongside fellow genetic counselor, Maggie Miller, at the Cancer Center to help patients make informed decisions about their DNA and their cancer risk.
- Good source on the genetics of cancer
- Know your Family History – Family Health History
- Know your breast density
- Waking Up podcast with Sam Harris speaking with Siddhartha Mukherjee about his Pulitzer Prize winning book, The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
- “Pink and Blue” – a documentary about families and inherited genes that greatly increase cancer risk for men and women
- Amazon link to The Wandering Gene and the Indian Princess: Race, Religion, and DNA by Jeff Wheelwright, a poignant family saga and the science around the BRCA gene
Know your risk of Hereditary Cancer:
- FORCE – Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered:
- Who should consider testing for hereditary cancer?
- Sharsheret is a national not-for-profit organization supporting young Jewish women
and their families facing breast cancer
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Monday, October 02, 2017, at 2:00 p.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Monday, October 02, 2017, at 8:00 p.m. AKDT
DR. WOODARD’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Mayo Clinic
- Cleveland Clinic
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Science Based Medicine
- Super Smart Health
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by: