Preterm birth is the leading cause of neonatal death, and increases the chances of disabilities and developmental delays in those infants who survive. Join Dr. Jay Butler, co-host of Line One: Your Health Connection, for a discussion with Dr. Lily Lou on the state of the art of the care of the premature infant and prevention of premature delivery.
- Dr. Lily Lou is a board-certified pediatrician specializing in neonatology. She practices at the Children’s Hospital at Providence in Anchorage.
- Providence Health and Services Alaska website on premature birth
- Children’s Hospital at Providence Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website on premature birth
- March of Dimes
- Alaska Scorecard on prematurity from the March of Dimes (PDF)
- Premie Voices Live. Video made by Dr. Saroj Saigal of the McMasters Hospital in Hamilton, Ontario provides the stories of 10 persons who were born prematurely, weighing less than 2 pounds at birth, outlining their challenges and achievements through childhood and into adulthood.
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Monday, May 14th, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Monday, May 14th, 2018, at 8:00 p.m. AKDT
DR. WOODARD’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- This is a good site to start with, if you want to learn how to find reliable health information on the internet
- Mayo Clinic
- Cleveland Clinic
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Denying to the Grave: Why We Ignore Facts That Will Save Us
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Science Based Medicine
- Carl Sagan’s Baloney Detection Kit and common logical fallacies
- Michael Shermer’s suggestion for Baloney Detection: How to draw boundaries between science and pseudoscience
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by: