Much like a high conflict divorce tears families apart and forces children to choose sides, the political discourse of the last three years has created a widening social rift that is increasingly tense and volatile. As this partisan fighting has escalated among our leaders, it has quickly turned to an “us against them” battle for power and
control. The attacks against the press, name calling, mocking behavior, threats of jail time, and baseless statements meant to incite anger and fear have become an “accepted norm” at the highest levels of government.
● Is this toxic political environment being mirrored in our citizens?
● Is this just politics as usual or is there something different and perhaps dangerous about this time in our history?
● Is this something that threatens the health and wellness of our nation as a whole?
● What can we do as individuals and communities to protect the principles and values of our country and to counter the impacts of this environment on us as individuals and as communities? Please Join Line One Co-Host, Prentiss Pemberton, and Professor Dr.
David LivingStone Smith, for a thoughtful discussion about the social/emotional health of our nation and for a look at what we can learn from our history and the history of others.
HOST: Prentiss Pemberton, LCSW
- How Today’s American Crisis Is Different, from Time.com
- Psychoanalysis explains how authoritarians energize hatred, self-pity and delusion while promising heaven on Earth
- American democracy is in crisis, and not just because of Trump, from the Guardian
- The American Crisis, from the Atlantic
- Is America on the Verge of a Constitutional Crisis? From the Atlantic
- Is President Trump’s ‘America First’ Policy Emboldening Autocrats? From NPR
- ‘America First’ doesn’t work without American values
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (10:00 – 11:00am)
- Send email to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Wednesday, October 24, 2018, at 10:00 a.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Wednesday, October 24, 2018, at 8:00 p.m. AKDT
LINE ONE’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Cleveland Clinic
- Mayo Clinic
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Science Based Medicine
- Super Smart Health
- Understanding Health Research
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by: