This report card, produced by transit planners for the Municipality of Anchorage, offers lots of data on how changes to the system (enacted in October 2017) have played out over the year. According to the report, the system shifted from infrequent service emphasizing coverage over ridership, to a system that emphasizes frequency of service. The buses now serve popular corridors. On some routes, they run every 15 minutes. In contrast, past plans featured some routes that ran once an hour and wove through neighborhoods to reach customers.
In addition, the new plan extended bus hours to accommodate later riders and Sunday riders.
The municipality wants feedback. They say discussions over the report card will help shape transit’s future in Anchorage. Join us with your questions and comments.
HOST: Kathleen McCoy
- Bart Rudolph, Public Transportation System (People Mover)
- Jamie Acton, Public Transportation System (People Mover)
- Andrew Ooms, Citizens Advisory Council member, 7 years
- System Report Card Muni website (find it in English, Hmong, Korean, Spanish and Tagalog)
- Why US public transportation is so bad, and why Americans don’t care, Vox, 9.26.2018
- Why did America give up on mass transit? (Don’t blame cars.), City Lab, 9.31.2018
The Public Meeting dates are listed below:
- Thursday, 2/14: 5:30 – 7:00pm – City Hall, Room 155
- Tuesday, 2/19: 10:00 – 11:30am – Mountain View Library
- Tuesday, 2/19: 5:30 – 7:00pm – Eagle River Town Center, Room 170
- Wednesday, 2/20: 10:00 – 11:30am – Dimond Center Mall, 2nd Floor, Next to Habitat Housewares
- Wednesday, 2/20: 5:30 – 7:00pm – Romig Middle School, Multipurpose Room
- Thursday, 2/21: 5:00 – 6:30pm – Muldoon Library
- Friday, 2/22: 5:30 – 7:00pm – Fairview Community Center
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send e-mail to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
- LIVE: Monday, February 18, 2019 at 2:00 p.m.
- REPEAT: Monday, February 18, 2019 at 8:00 p.m.