An oyster farmer. A salt-from-the-sea company. An airport vending machine for all things baby. Custom-designed and Alaska-tested outdoor wear for women, manufactured right here in Anchorage.
These are four Alaska Startups that we’ll explore on the next Hometown Alaska. We’re timing the show to Alaska Startup Week, Nov. 18-24, which followed Startup Weekend, Nov. 15-17. Startup Week has events in Anchorage and eight other communities, including Fairbanks, Juneau, Seward, Kenai/Soldotna, Dillingham, Palmer, Homer and Kodiak. Alaska’s events are a collaboration with TechStars, a global network of entrepreneurs and a well-known startup accelerator out of Boulder, Colo.
Here’s what we want to know from these Alaska entrepreneurs: Where did their idea come from? How did they start? Are they self-funded or have they attracted investors? Are they making money yet? Why are they sure this idea is the one? Who has helped them? What mistakes have they made, and what did they learn from them?
Join us. And remember, calls and emails are welcome throughout the program.
HOST: Kathleen McCoy
- Mike Irving, Alaska’s Best Shellfish
- Jasmin Smith, Baby Vend
- Casey Siekaniec, Alaska Salt Co.
- Jennifer Loofbourrow, Alpine Fit
- Alaska Startup Week website
- Schedule of events for Alaska Startup Week
- TechStars Startup Week website
- Alaska Startup Week Facebook page
- Alaska Startups website, includes startup stories
- Baby Vend Facebook page and website
- Alpine Fit website and Facebook page
- Alaska Salt Co. website and Facebook page
- Alaska’s Best Shellfish – Brave Harbor oysters Facebook page and website
- 2018 Small Business Profiles Alaska (PDF), US Small Business Administration
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send e-mail to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air
- LIVE: Monday, November 18, 2019 at 2:00 p.m
- RE-AIR: Monday, November 18, 2019 at 8:00 p.m.