As a bike commuter, the culvert under Arctic Valley Boulevard often has been an exciting transit opportunity. I have rolled through water up to my pedals. But a fix in 2020 — a new culvert — is aimed at better managing Chester Creek overflow near Valley of the Moon park.
Fixes like these can make urban living easier and more pleasant. This is just one of about 20 projects on the Municipality’s project management and engineering website slated for 2020 upgrades. The map below gives you a feel for where the projects are in the bowl.
Another — Reka Drive near East High School — is headed for a sidewalk on its south side, plus some drain improvements.
Area transportation agencies, from MOA to the People Mover to AK DOT and AMATS will be offering information on their 2020 transportation improvements at a free, open-to-the-public transportation fair on Thursday, Jan. 23. The fair is from 3-7 pm at the Alaska Airlines Center, 3550 Providence Drive. Parking is free.
Hometown Alaska will visit the fair and bring project details and experts back to the show for this week. Learn what to expect for road/bike/bus transportation improvements in 2020. Someday, the snow really will melt. Join us.
HOST: Kathleen McCoy
- Chelsea Ward-Waller, public information, MOA Project Management and Engineering
- Bart Rudolph, transit planning manager MOA Public Transportation
- Craig Lyon, AMATS coordinator
- MOA Project Management and Engineering website
- MOA 2019 and upcoming 2020 Construction Projects Report, website
- MOA AMATS transportation planning website
- MTP 2040 draft public review document 1 (Chap 1-4)
- MTP 2040 draft public review document 2 (Chap 5-end)
- AK DOT & PF Midtown Congestion Relief website (find link to 202-pg report)
- People Mover Public Transportation Department 2019 Report Card, downloadable PDF here
- Transit on the Move, draft short-range transit plan, downloadable PDF here
KEY DATES TO RESPOND:
- January 31, 2020 Deadline to submit public comment to draft Transit on the Move plan
- Feb. 5, 2020 AMATS 2040 public meeting 5-7 pm, Mountain View Library community meeting room.
- Feb. 14, 2020 Deadline for public comment to AMATS 2040 Chapters 1-8
- March 9, 2020 Deadline for public comment to AMATS 2040 Chapter 9 air quality
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air
- LIVE: Monday, January 27, 2019 at 2:00 p.m
- RE-AIR: Monday, January 27, 2019 at 8:00 p.m.