Orienteering and Wilderness Navigation
Navigating and avoiding getting lost is a bottom-line requirement for spending time in the wilderness. It’s also a sport and a source of competition. We’ll learn about orienteering, and along the way get tips about how to know where you are when you’re traveling in the backcountry. Navigation can be an interesting puzzle, and it can also save your life.
HOST: Charles Wohlforth
- Jen Joliff, vice president, Arctic Orienteering Club
- Roman Dial, wilderness racer, APU professor
AKontheGO FAMILY CALENDAR EVENTS:
- DNR list of Alaska Farmers Markets, Summer 2014
- Sitka Trail Works is hosting a trail maintenance event in honor of National Trails Day on June 7. Meet at the Herring Cove trailhead at 9:00 a.m. to join the fun.
- The Campbell Creek Science Center is also hosting a family-friendly activity for National Trails Day on June 7. Meet at the center at 9:00 a.m. to join a project team. Pizza lunch at noon. More information at Friends of the Campbell Creek Science Center.
- Alaska Museum of Science and Nature is hosting a Fossil 5-K and a Tyrannosaurus 10-K race at Kincaid Park on June 9. The race starts at 6:30 p.m.
PARTICIPATE: Facebook: Outdoor Explorer (comments may be read on-air)
BROADCAST: Thursday, June 5, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Thursday, June 5, 2014, 9:00 – 10:00 p.m. AKDT
SUBSCRIBE: Receive Outdoor Explorer automatically every week via
Go to OUTDOOREXPLORER.ORG