More mushers, including rookie Nicolas Petit, have reached Nome in the 2011 Iditarod. He finished in 28th place, arriving in Nome early Thursday morning with 9 dogs.
The 2011 Iditarod broke the winning streak of one of the race’s most popular mushers, Lance Mackey, who finished this year’s race in 16th place and well off the record pace set by Kotzebue’s John Baker. Mackey arrived in Nome Wednesday with 7 dogs.
Other mushers who had reached Nome by Thursday morning included:
- Michelle Phillips with 13 dogs
- Martin Buser with 11 dogs
- Robert Nelson with 9 dogs
- Rick Swenson with 10 dogs
- Cim Smyth with 9 dogs
- Matt Hayashida with 9 dogs
- Bruce Linton with 10 dogs
- Allen Moore with 12 dogs
- Trent Herbst with 7 dogs
- Kelley Griffin with 9 dogs
- Ed Stielstra with 11 dogs.
Photo by Diana Haecker, KTNA – Talkeetna. Lance Mackey hugs his dogs after arriving in Nome.