Alaska grown food at the farmers market. Flickr photostream Alison Arians.
Farmers Markets are the biggest thing since Matanuska cabbages. And if you want to buy local there’s more than just produce popping up around town. Join host Peter Dunlap-Shohl and his guests as they explore the differences in Anchorage Saturday Markets on Hometown, Alaska.
Photo right: Kim Wetzel holds the wooden nickel now accepted at the Spenard Farmers Market. Shoppers with food assistance debit cards through the state of Alaska can purchase these nickels with their cards to pay for goods at the market.
- South Anchorage Farmers Market
- Flickr: South Anchorage Market photo gallery
- Spenard Saturday Market
- Anchorage Markets
- Facebook Video: Peter-Dunlap Shohl tours Spenard Market
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
HOST: Peter Dunlap-Shohl, independent journalist, blogger
- Arthur Keyes, farmers market entrepreneur, South Anchorage, Dimond and Eagle River
- Kim Wetzel, Board Member, Food Assistance Program Chair, Spenard Saturday Market
LIVE: Wed, August 3, 2011 at 2:00 p.m.
REPEAT: Wed, August 3, 2011 2010 at 7:00 p.m.
Get Hometown, Alaska updates automatically by e-mail, RSS or podcast