Three People Ill After Eating Fermented Seal Flipper

Three people have contracted botulism after eating separate batches of fermented seal flipper in Koyuk over the weekend.

Alaska’s Division of Public Health says the first case presented signs of the illness on Friday, with two more becoming sick by Monday afternoon. All three have been transported to Anchorage for emergency medical treatment, and officials say an investigation to “identify and monitor” others who may be at risk is currently underway.

Botulism is a life-threatening disease caused by bacteria that can incubate in some traditional Alaska Native foods — including fermented seal flipper and fermented fish heads.

The cases in Koyuk come after a botulism outbreak last fall that killed one and sickened two others near Lower Kalskag in the Yukon-Kuskokwim region. The Alaska Dispatch News reportedthat death was the first to be caused by botulism in Alaska for over a decade.

Officials are urging health care providers to immediately report suspected cases so that they can be treated quickly, and others can be prevented from eating contaminated food. Symptoms of the illness include a dry mouth, blurry vision, dizziness, stomach pain, nausea or difficulty breathing.

Previous articleKatmai staff take closer look at F/V Northern Pride
Next articlePre-Historic Shark Fossil Comes Home
Francesca is a reporter at KNOM in Nome.

No posts to display