The idea for today’s show was purely seasonal. After a satisfying trip to a local farmer’s market, my curiosity about the workers who bring this produce to market grew. I found Margaret Adsit, owner/operator of Alaska Farm Tours. I learned she was the daughter of a
grain farmer in the Midwest, and passionate that people come to understand our food system and the role farmers play in it. She tries to serve as a conduit between farmers and the public on questions of food quality, food security and more.
We’ll have one or two farmers on the air with us, talking about the reality of their work world. We expect to have a representative from the Division of Agriculture as well.
I’ll update this post as we secure commitments from guests. I hope you’ll join us with your own questions about how local food comes to market and the challenges Alaska farmers face.
HOST: Kathleen McCoy
- Margaret Adsit, Alaska Farm Tours, formerly with Alaska Farmland Trust
- Farmers: Kristi Short, Bushes Bunches; Sarah Bean, Arctic Organics
- Johanna Herron, Alaska Division of Agriculture, $5 Alaska Grown Challenge
- Rachael Miller, APU, food security
- Alaska Grown Source Book 2016-17 Alaska Division of Agriculture, Department of Natural Resources
- South Central farm list, (other regions also represented), Div of Agriculture website
- Alaska Farmland Trust, website, agency dedicated to preserving farmland
- Ag Matters, 30 minute radio programs dedicated to farmers and farming issues
- Alaska Farm Tours, website
- US farmers, desperate for help, increasingly turn to Mexico, Christian Science Monitor, June 22, 2018
- Alaska Food Policy Council strategic plan PDF
- 2019 Summer Conference with the Association for the Study of Food & Society (ASFS) and the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society (AFHVS) to be held at UAA
- Civic Eats, UAA and APU sponsored food system ongoing education and community projects
- Edible Alaska, website and magazine
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send e-mail to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
- LIVE: Monday, July 30, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
- REPEAT: Monday, July 30, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.